From the Stage

‘Sender’ humorously displays the challenging transition to adulthood

Courtesy of Mike Davis

The play tackles the difficulty of adjusting to adulthood through the complex lives of four friends.

Syracuse University’s Department of Drama has opened another drama-packed production, this one shedding light on the realities of adulthood and relationships — it isn’t just about worrying about student loans and budgeting out your daily lattes and avocado toasts to make sure you can afford a house in the future.

Written by Ike Holter and directed by Terrence Mosley, “Sender” made its debut in the Storch Theater at the Syracuse Stage/SU Drama Complex on Saturday and runs through Feb. 27. Many audience members said that this play had an accurate portrayal of the process of coming into adulthood.

“It encompasses adulthood well and has a great mix of humor and emotion,” Syracuse resident Kaytlyn Flansburgh said.

Her partner, Dane Flansburgh, an archivist at Bird Library, described the play as a creative piece that accurately displays the rough transition into adulthood all while balancing it with a humorous script.

“Sender” follows a group of four friends who live in a small Chicago neighborhood, who are still coming to terms with the presumed death of their close friend Lynx, when suddenly, a year later he pushes himself back into the picture, leaving them hurt and confused. The play follows the friends’ lives and their progress with Lynx coming back into their life, as well as the overall struggles adulthood brings that everyone seems to ignore.

The production explores their individual struggles and shows how sometimes growing up means growing apart. The production showcases grief, confusion, joy and even unrequited love, proving that it takes more than a couple of falls when it comes to growing up.

Holter highlights the struggle of maturing at a different pace than others through the four friends, who are all at vastly different stages in life. Many individuals have been in that kind of situation: it feels like everyone is moving on while they seemingly stay glued to the same square. Having multiple perspectives in the play allows the audience to connect to the piece.

I hope the audience appreciates the story and its raw and beautiful view on relationships,
SU sophomore Morgan Perry

One character, Cassandra, is prepared to start a family. She’s at a stable place financially and wants to take the next step in her relationship. Morgan Perry, an SU sophomore who played Cassandra, hopes the audience treasures the storyline in the play.

“I hope the audience appreciates the story and its raw and beautiful view on relationships, and how who we are and what we do determines how we navigate through the world,” Perry said.

Cassandra’s character has tensions between her romantic and platonic relationships in the play, uncovering the realities of human connections. Perry describes her preparation for the scenes as working on connecting to her character’s emotions and supporting her cast members. Even though it wasn’t an easy process, Perry described her time in the play as “an incredibly rewarding experience.”

This production was Perry’s first time performing in a play that wasn’t a musical.

Another character, Jordan, who seems put together and even satisfied with his life at first glance. But as the production progresses, the audience realizes he has his own set of struggles. He’s buried in student loans, all while still coming to terms with his sexuality and trying to find his happiness.

SU junior and drama and tech major Sophia O’Connor, who attended opening night of “Sender,” said that it was a well rounded show with a great design.

“It was a great contemporary piece that was about relationships between people,” O’Connor said.