Conservative Column

Free speech on college campuses shouldn’t just be for liberal students

Attendees of the Inauguration of Donald Trump leaving the Capital Building after he left for the parade.

It’s no secret that college campuses have a liberal bias, but few people understand how that bias affects the treatment of conservative students — even a year after President Donald Trump was inaugurated.

Neetu Chandak, a student at Cornell University, recently spoke out about receiving insults and death threats from fellow students after she appeared on “Fox and Friends” last year. Chandak’s harassment for being a conservative isn’t an isolated case. Conservatives and Republicans are shamed for their views on college campuses, which is paradoxical to the mission of most institutions of higher education: to expose students to diverse ideas and let them decide for themselves what to believe.

This issue has only worsened since Trump’s election, which is when I experienced the harshest treatment from students and professors. Like any normal day, I went to class the day after the election, sat in my seat and greeted my professor. He was visibly disappointed and struggling to find his voice.

As students continued to file into the classroom, he turned to me and asked, “How could this happen?”

I let him know my opinion: “On the bright side, it’s better than the alternative.”

My professor’s eyes widened, his face turned red and he engaged me further. He wanted to know how it was possible that someone could think Hillary Clinton was unfit for the presidency.

I smiled and explained my reasoning.

My lack of sympathy angered him, and his response was loud and included profanity that was inappropriate for a college setting. I was ridiculed in front of the entire class.

6to1

Kevin Camelo | Digital Design Editor

There are many students on SU’s campus who have experienced similar treatment. Michael Cuozzo, a junior economics major in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he got into a shouting match with one of his professors over politics. He said the professor chastised him and tried to convince the class that Cuozzo’s conservative viewpoint was wrong.

This type of behavior from professors can intimidate students who are Republicans — and students who haven’t decided their views — from engaging in political discussions. Conservative students are afraid to share their thoughts in class because they don’t want to upset their professors, fearing potential consequences.

And it’s not just disrespect coming from faculty, but fellow students as well. They roll their eyes at conservative students who just want to expose the other side to an issue, turning any constructive conversation into a heated debate.

A fall survey found 22.2% of freshman students identify as alt-right or conservative

Kevin Camelo | Digital Design Editor

“College Republicans are routinely targeted by professional agitators on campus and extreme leftists who refuse to acknowledge free speech when they do not agree with it,” said Ted Dooley, the executive director of the College Republican National Committee.

And his statement should ring true for college Republicans across the country. All universities, including Syracuse University, should become safe places where students can share conservative or liberal ideas freely. Colleges that don’t provide for conversations and perspectives coming from both ends of the spectrum would be failing their students otherwise.

As we reflect on Trump’s first year in office, there should be change in the political discourse on college campuses. Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, all views must be respected.

Joseph Pucciarelli is a junior public relations and history dual major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at jjpuccia@syr.edu and followed on Twitter @JoeyPucciarelli.